CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IC: Briefing, 15 January, 2766  (Read 4405 times)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Re: IC: Briefing, 15 January, 2766
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

Yes, for the total +1 penalty.

Your total roll is 2d6+1, needing a result of 9 or greater.  http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Roll(2d6)+1:
4,4,+1
Total:9

Success.  MoS: 0.

Working long hours along with your Technical staff, you think you've managed to overcome a fair bit of the accuracy issues.  You're tired, sore, and hungry, but you'll be shooting straighter in the battle to come.  With a few short hours to go until the jump, you grab a fast shower and fall into your bunk, asleeep almost before your head hits the pillow.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:22:49 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »

New Vandenburg... how did I just know it was going to be New Vandenburg?  Maybe Franklin's bad luck was starting to rub off?  Nah, no reason to start thinking that way; we're going to need everything we've got to pull this off, considering we're already a short company and who knows which of these guys will be incapacitated after the jump.  Next time they decide to do micro-jumps, maybe consulting medical profiles wouldn't be such a bad idea.

"Major, seems likely they'd have birds in the air when we arrive.  Will we have any aero support, or should we expect to be dodging strafing runs?

"And about how long will we have after arrival before they start launching additional fighters from those launch doors?  If it were me, I'd get everything I could airborne just as soon as I knew we had incoming...

"Those launch doors, any idea how well-armored they are?  Do we have any technical specs on them, anything that might help us disable them as fast as possible?

"One last thing, in all likelihood, I'm dropping with a demi-company of medium mechs.  While I've got full confidence in my men, it's looking like that Avalonian flu bug won't be quite out of everyone's system by the time we jump, and I could be down a couple people.  As good as we are, we'd be even better with whatever detached assets the 741st can spare."

I sat back in my chair, about as comfortable as the cheap bleachers at a kids' ballgame.  It wasn't the furniture that had me on edge however.  It was the mission, it was always the mission.  Six or seven mechs versus a couple light mech lances, some armor, emplacements, and oh let's not forget the ASF division.  A mere 58 fighters, what could go wrong?  Sure, a few well-placed shots and suddenly the Taurians can't get their birds out the door, but if something goes wrong there didn't seem to be much of a backup plan.  Regardless, I was only half-listening to the Major's answers, most of my attention already working on a plan (difficult, since I had no idea which members of my team would be healthy enough to participate in this).  I was just waiting to hear the bad news, and from the set of the Major's jaw, I knew the bad news was coming...

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »

*Sgt Marshall's attention seems to wander as he idly flips through the briefing materials.  He suddenly focuses on a series of recon images.*

"Did they actually do that?" He mutters half under his breath, "Cap'n, I might have something in the way of good news."

*Using his knowledge of demolitions, Marshall analyzes the recon images of the hangar doors and the cooling plant.  He spots weaknesses where applied force could warp or otherwise enhance impacts on the structures."

(OOG: Using demolition skill to try to figure out how to either A) reduce CF on the target structures or B) at least finding a way to jam the hangar doors with rubble since they are inside of craters)

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

IC:  "Major Jaffray, will there be enough atmosphere to operate in Air-Mech mode?"

OOC: Hey guys.  Could someone bring a copy of the new LAM rules on Saturday?  I think they are in TRO 3085 or Strat. Ops.  I looked at the WiGE movement rules in TW and they look reasonable but buying either of those books is not an option for me just now.  Also, Rob, are there any sealed combat suits or some such thing as the MW3 light environmental suit and combat neuro-helmet (the one with the sealed faceplate and 1 hr O2 supply in case we have a cockpit breach.  And what would be the penalties for wearing them?
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »

IC:  "Major Jaffray, will there be enough atmosphere to operate in Air-Mech mode?"

"I'm afraid not, son.  There simply isn't sufficient atmospheric pressure to operate as a Wing-in-Ground-Effect vehicle.  Your jump jets should work fine, though I'm aware that's small comfort."

OOC: This question does not have an answer within published rules at this time.  Once we get the full LAM rules out, this may change, but I can see it going either way, to be honest.  I ended up flipping a coin.  Also, still researching the enviornment suit thing - full-body suits are standard for SLDF warriors, but they don't have vacuum protection.

*Sgt Marshall's attention seems to wander as he idly flips through the briefing materials.  He suddenly focuses on a series of recon images.*

"Did they actually do that?" He mutters half under his breath, "Cap'n, I might have something in the way of good news."

*Using his knowledge of demolitions, Marshall analyzes the recon images of the hangar doors and the cooling plant.  He spots weaknesses where applied force could warp or otherwise enhance impacts on the structures."

TN 9.  Task: Very Difficult (-3).  No Dex Modifier (situational).  No INT modifier.  Skill modifier +4.
Roll(2d6)+1:
1,5,+1
Total:7  MoF: 2

Once you finish explaining the theory to the rest of the company - that targeted strikes in the loose lunar basalt in the viscinity of the door rails would jam up the doors and stop them from being able to operate, the Major sighs.  

"Good idea, Sergeant.  We examined a similar idea when we were initially coming up with the op - hit the area around the doors with LRM strikes and use the stone to jam up the doors, but it just wouldn't work.  One of the intel weenies pointed out that the doors have a redundancy built into them that will allow them to detect jams - makes sense, being at the bottom of craters and all - and use a servo-assisted hinge to open outwards instead.  It increases their radar profiles, which is why they aren't built to operate that way all the time.  I'm afraid you're going to have to use raw firepower to smash them inwards and foul up the launch rails for the fighters.  On the bright side, though, the doors aren't all that heavily armored; they can't be for the servo to function.  A pair of large laser hits should break 'em down."

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »

OOC: This question does not have an answer within published rules at this time.  Once we get the full LAM rules out, this may change, but I can see it going either way, to be honest.  I ended up flipping a coin.  Also, still researching the enviornment suit thing - full-body suits are standard for SLDF warriors, but they don't have vacuum protection.

OOC:  I found the light environmental suit in MW3 on page 146.  I am proposing obtaining one, rolling it up and stuffing it into my mech's cockpit storage locker.  The combat neurohelmet I found in "Lostech: The Mechwarrior Equipment Guide" page 53.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »

No - I know where they are.  I'm trying to decide what TW game effects they have.  Sorry for the confusion.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »

"Bah, so many excellent plans need to be abandoned on account of not working. Do we have a better image of the cooling plant? That I might be able to determine a bit of mayhem for."

(OOG: Same deal for the cooling array. That should have vulnerable points, most likely coolant arrays exposed to vacuum.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:37:51 PM by Knightofargh »

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »

No - I know where they are.  I'm trying to decide what TW game effects they have.  Sorry for the confusion.

Operation: Stiletto states that a mechwarrior attempting to pilot a mech while wearing a vacuum safe environmental suit suffers a +1 penalty to gunnery and piloting skills.  I seriously doubt that a rule from a late FASA era scenario pack is still considered at all relevant, but that's the best I could find when it comes to officially published rules for attempting to pilot a mech while wearing an environmental suit.

Black Omega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »

Operation: Stiletto states that a mechwarrior attempting to pilot a mech while wearing a vacuum safe environmental suit suffers a +1 penalty to gunnery and piloting skills.  I seriously doubt that a rule from a late FASA era scenario pack is still considered at all relevant, but that's the best I could find when it comes to officially published rules for attempting to pilot a mech while wearing an environmental suit.

I thought I heard of a penalty like that years ago.  Good find DoG.  It just proves that I don't have all of the books that I did buy memorized.  I think I'll shut up for now.  See you all Saturday.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »

Sir, what is the ambient temperature of the moon?  I am wondering if we would get increased efficiency from our heat sinks, and have heat not be an issue for any mech.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »

Sir, what is the ambient temperature of the moon?  I am wondering if we would get increased efficiency from our heat sinks, and have heat not be an issue for any mech.

Well, the moon's pretty cold, but the issue is that the trace atmosphere makes standard BattleMech heat sinks less efficient; there's less air moving across them to carry the heat away.  It'll balance out as a wash, or close enough.  

OOC GM: In the interests of "lack of time", we're using the Op: Stiletto rules for light environmental suits.  Gain protection against head breaches, take a +1 modifier to Piloting and Gunnery.  You'll need to mark on your sheets if you're using one.

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »

After listening intently to a few of the other questions, Duncan chimes in, "Major, is there any chance that we'll encounter XCT infantry defending the base?"

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »

OOC:  Very fun start to the campaign!  Will you (Rob) be posting up an AAR?  I'm guessing that we could've made some sort of roll to find out things about the power station, such as the fact that it had point defenses or was likely to explode upon destruction?  If so, what skills would've been useful for such rolls?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »

OOC:  Very fun start to the campaign!  Will you (Rob) be posting up an AAR?  I'm guessing that we could've made some sort of roll to find out things about the power station, such as the fact that it had point defenses or was likely to explode upon destruction?  If so, what skills would've been useful for such rolls?

I'll post AARs when possible.

As for skill rolls, generally speaking, several possible skill rolls can apply to any check for knowledge.  The trick is justifying which one does what, and then I figure out how closely they're related.  For example, the cooling tower was a high-pressure container suddenly exposed to a low-pressure/low-temperature environment.  Several skills, including some science-related skills (physics) or technicial (cooling systems) could have applied.  Some would apply more than others, and the ones that applied less would have a higher difficulty modifier to figure it out.  Technician/cooling systems would end up probably being a straight-up roll with no difficulty modifiers (since that directly applies), while a Tactics/Mech roll to extrapolate that since Mech heat sinks "explode" slightly when hit as the pressure is released, a system 5000 times bigger might also produce a similar "explosion" big enough to damage a Mech at a significant distance would be a real reach, and thus have a Very or even Extremely Difficult modifier, as well as requiring a higher Margin of Success.  Technician/fusion engines would have had a difficulty modifier somewhere in the middle.  There isn't a clear-cut system of "this situation requires X skill" when it comes to knowledge skills, and setting the details and TNs requires a high level of GM fiat and finesse (usually on the fly, since there's no way a GM can account for every way in which every skill might be useful).

The hidden point-defenses around the cooling tower would have required a Sensor Operations or Perception skill check, both with very high difficulty modifiers representing the deliberate concealment.  Mechs with advanced sensor suites would have helped, but not guaranteed it, as would taking a turn of not moving or shooting to concentrate on the skill check.  Be aware that there are, very rarely, things that are straight-up "impossible".  It doesn't matter how good your piloting skill modifier is - you can't use your jump jets to attain orbit on a 1G world.  Most of the time, you'll get a roll, but be aware that making said rolls can take time away in-game; it is possible to lose a TW turn making lots of rolls to try to get a high result.  Likewise, there's some things that there's just no way to know from the results of briefings and sundry.  The satellite images of the cooling tower, for example, would not reveal the type of coolant being used, no matter how high your Perception skill check was.

And for full disclosure and a taste of how I stat things, the full rules for the cooling station, c/p'd from my notes:

Cooling station:  7 hexes, 3 levels high across all hexes.
-160-point damage capacity (reinforced construction cancels partial building collapse rules)

-6 surrounding hexes each mount a point-defense Machine Gun under a hidden panel (Perception TN 14, Sensor Ops TN 11 to notice; not moving or shooting that turn grants a +3 bonus to the check).  MGs use Gunnery 2, infinite ammo.  MGs cannot fire across hexes containing cooling tower.  Must declare whether they are using Point-defense or anti-personnel/Mech fire.  Pop out at end of movement phase (only have to move 4 feet).

-High-pressure coolant: When cooling tower is destroyed, the system may detonate (combination of a "steam boiler"-style explosion and actual detonation).  On a straight 2d6 roll of 10+, the failsafes fail, and the tower explodes for 2d6x10 damage to immediate surrounding hexes, dropping by 10 points per hex of radius.  If any Mechs are ON the tower, they take 3d6x10 damage to front hit location table and are displaced to the nearest hex adjacent to the building.  They must make a PSR at +5 penalty (incl. low gravity) or take a 4 level fall.  If PSR succeeds, they take mass/10 x0.4 to each leg and are still displaced, but remain standing.  Technical skills (cooling systems, fusion engines) may allow for warning (MoS 1+).  Sensor Ops checks (TN 10+) on the tower as it takes damage may reveal brewing detonation, but require a turn to stand still and scan (range 15 hexes-ish?) unless Mech has good sensors (beagle, quirk of some sort).

-When tower is destroyed, all turrets and doors lock down as they lose power during the End Phase of that turn.  Mechs and tanks may still operate, but become receptive to surrender offers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3