CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Author Topic: AreoTech naval quickstart rules  (Read 1954 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
AreoTech naval quickstart rules
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:15:09 AM »

Here's basically everything you'll need to know, rules-wise, about the upcoming game on December 10th in an easy-to-read, 3 page format.  If you know somebody who may be at the game who doesn't read these boards, please forward this to them.  It DOES assume familiarity with the overall BattleTech 2d6 system, so a total newbie will be lost.  Fair warning.

There are special-case rules I didn't include (ramming!), but this will cover moving, maneuvering, shooting, electronic warfare, damage, heat, and fighter squadrons.  There's a LOAD more complexity in the system for those who want it, but I frankly don't want to get into bearings-only missile launches, high-speed engagements, and advanced individual visual fire control.  First time out, folks - keeping it simple.

Lemme know if you've any questions, please, or if something's not clear.  I'd like everyone to have a copy of this printed out for the game on the 10th as a personal reference.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: AreoTech naval quickstart rules
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »

A few questions:

1)  Initiative:  In your simplified description, you describe Warships first, and so on.  However, it makes it sound as though the loser of init will move all warships first, to be followed by the winner of init.  Is this correct?  Or will we use alternating movement as per standard BT rules within a class phase (i.e., SLDF has 4 warships, Amaris has 2 warships, Amaris loses init so they move 1 warship, followed by two for the SLDF, then one more for Amaris, and then the last two for SLDF)?

2)  Movement:
D) Ships may NOT exit the playing area; a ship against the edge is stuck and is treated at 0 velocity until it turns around and moves back into play.

That's an interesting rule.  Are there any negatives to doing this?  This seems like it could easily be abused to use high-speed passes resulting in nothing more than a free deceleration at the board edge.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »

A few questions:

1)  Initiative:  In your simplified description, you describe Warships first, and so on.  However, it makes it sound as though the loser of init will move all warships first, to be followed by the winner of init.  Is this correct?  Or will we use alternating movement as per standard BT rules within a class phase (i.e., SLDF has 4 warships, Amaris has 2 warships, Amaris loses init so they move 1 warship, followed by two for the SLDF, then one more for Amaris, and then the last two for SLDF)?

It's as you describe.  That's just an issue with the compression of the rules.  I mainly wanted to be clear we weren't using card init.

2)  Movement:
D) Ships may NOT exit the playing area; a ship against the edge is stuck and is treated at 0 velocity until it turns around and moves back into play.

That's an interesting rule.  Are there any negatives to doing this?  This seems like it could easily be abused to use high-speed passes resulting in nothing more than a free deceleration at the board edge.

I had intended it to actually be a "nicer" penalty than the regular one - a ship that leaves the play area is destroyed.  I didn't want to hurt people who were unfamiliar with the game into accidentally destroying a ship due to unfamiliarity with the rules.   My way, your ship is stuck at 0 velocity for a turn (which gives people a bonus to shoot you), and then you can turn around and get back into the game, instead of having your ship killed outright.  And so it will stay unless I suspect that it's being abused for that free decel...in which case I'll apply both the letter AND spirit of the rules as written and summarily destroy the ship in question.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »

Bringing this thread up to the top, since it's very relevant again.  Dust off the areo rules and get your minds into being able to move your own terrain around the board (DropShip & WarShip ECM).  I'ma try to have the scenario up in the next 24 hours.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »

We sticking to TW movement, or will we use vectored?

I vote for vectored, if it's relevant.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:46:39 AM »

PROCEDURAL NOTE:

Due to the force mix in this scenario, for the Saturday, March 23rd game, we will be using SQUADRON MOVEMENT.  That is, the loser of initiative picks a squadron of WarShips to move first, then the winners picks and squadron, and so on and so forth.  It just now occurred to me the ramifications of initiative "as written" when you have a WarShip-only force under StratOps rules...

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »

PLEASE PRINT THIS DOCUMENT.

This is the updated quick-start with JUST the WarShip stuff in it, and with the rules for Point-defense (oops) and nuclear capital missiles included.  Tailored specifically for our scenario.