CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Force Creation Discussion  (Read 20937 times)

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Force Creation Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »

Travis, there are a few Omnimechs out there that have some configurations under the 1800 BV limit, but other configurations over the 1800 BV limit.  How do you want to handle that?

The Blackjack Omnimech has one configuration over the 1800 BV limit, the Black Hawk-KU has three configurations over the 1800 BV limit, the Avatar has one configurations over the 1800 BV limit, the Templar has nine configurations over the 1800 BV limit, the Templar III has four configurations over the 1800 BV limit, and the Sunder has four configurations over the 1800 BV limit.  The only Omnimech we have access to that has no variants over the 1800 BV limit is the Centurion Omnimech.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:58:10 PM by Death or Glory »

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »

Hauberk U15 is not available.  It was specifically a jihad mashup from the battle of New Avalon.  The Hauberk Commando is the production version of that armor.

As far as the omnis.  I'll let the blackjack and avatar slide in, but the remainder are out for the moment.  The R loadouts are not available
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:19:06 PM by Riegien »

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »

Hauberk U15 is not available.  It was specifically a jihad mashup from the battle of New Avalon.  The Hauberk Commando is the production version of that armor.

As far as the omnis.  I'll let the blackjack and avatar slide in, but the remainder are out for the moment.  The R loadouts are not available

Okay, that sounds fair to me.  I replaced the Hauberk U15s with a squad of Hauberk IIs and a squad of Grenadier (SRM/TAG)s.

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »

Travis, the Maxim (I) Hover Transport (Standard)s I'm considering taking as part of our vehicle force have an availability listing for the Republic Era of "to be announced," however they're on the Inner Sphere General list for the Jihad Era.  As Maxims have been pretty common for centuries, I feel like our unit would reasonably have access to them.  Are you okay with us taking a couple Maxims?  Also, I modified my post on the previous page to include my battlemech lance.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »

Maxims should be ok.  There are also the Hasek MCVs and JI2A1 APCs that you might want to take a look at.

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »

Maxims should be ok.  There are also the Hasek MCVs and JI2A1 APCs that you might want to take a look at.

Thanks for the Maxims.  The Hasek and JI2A1 only have a four ton infantry bay, which isn't large enough to transport a squad of Fusiliers, Grenadiers, or Hauberks.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »

Right.  Aerospace.

Given Travis's filters on the MUL (3130 and back, <1800BV, FS Filtevlt, and IS General), here is the sum total of all areospace units available to us with a mass of 30 tons or more (each pic is clickable to a larger version):

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »

As you can probably see (once you click to the readable versions), we're going to be in some hurt on the ASF side.  ASF Battle values tend to trend high, because they have a very high offensive multiplier due to their ability to mount a larger proportion of their mass as weaponry.  1800 BV2 puts us in the "Intro-tech" category for pretty much everything.

There's a few notable exceptions though.  The BIG one is the fact that we can take all of the Dagger configurations (well, we have the BV to take the DAR4-XP variant...with an XXL engine, Binary Laser, and VSMPLs with an extra MP of speed and 1550-ish BV2...but I'm not sure Travis will let us have that). 

The Dagger is a 3067 Omnifighter (Fighter of the Week article) which is notable for relatively high speed compared to what it fights against (fighters in the 40-70 ton range) and basically being carved directly from a solid brick of Ferro-Aluminium.  It's rather well protected, for something of its size.

Taking a pair of Daggers is, frankly, almost a no-brainer.  Not only are they signature Davion fighters, but they're probably the least likely of what we can actually afford to go away.  Hell, they're entirely capable of surviving Lawn Darts (which means we'll have to roll it out...but we've got good odds of still having a plane left at the end of the process).

The other two fighters should be reserved for a "role".  Assuming we take a pair of Daggers to fill the "fast dogfighter" role, the roles left to fill are "attack bird", "recon/interceptor", and "dogfighter".  My recommendations for each of those are as follows:

Interceptor/Recon:
-7D Sparrowhawk.  10/15 with x2 MPLs, x2 ERMLs, good armor, and DHS
-S4 Sai.  8/12 with an ERPPC and a pair of ArtiIV-equipped SRM4s.  Kind of slow for the role, though.

Dogfighter
CSR-12D Corsair. 6/9 with a crapton of X-pulse lasers (but we're in 3130 so that's cool).  Heavy armor, but unsure about heat.
F-92 Stingray.  6/9 with DHS and an ERPPC over a pair of ERLLs.  Looks sexy as hell.
EGL-R11 Eagle.  6/9 with DHS, and an ERPPC over a pair of LPLs.  Looks kinda dumb, but fires accurately.
MOAR DAGGARS!!!1eleventy1!

Attack Craft (holy hell are we limited here)
Huscarl D. Slow and light for an attack craft (75 tons), it's got a shedload of pulse lasers slaved to a TComp for Wild Weasel duty.
W-7 Chippewa.  x4 LPLs, x2 MPLs, x2 LRM15s, some other stuff.  Fair number of heat sinks (DHS).  What is this "armor" of which you speak?
K-5, 10, or 15 Stuka.  Introtech, 100ton attack bird.  Subvariants basically mess with secondary weapons and play with the number of heat sinks.  All of them mount at least 4 LLs, an LRM20, and some SRMs.  Single Heat Sinks...

So the question becomes...what do you want our ASFs to do?  That will probably help narrow the choices down.

Oh, and I'm unsure about the availability of the CUT-01D Cutlass, from TRO:3145: AFFS.  I don't have the BV2 handy, nor an intro date (it won't be up on the MUL for another several months).

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »

Rob, it appears you're filtering by intro date instead of by era availability.  This means that several aerospace units that are on the Federated Suns/IS General list for the Jihad Era, but not the Republic Era are showing up on your list.  You also appear to have not filtered out Small Craft and Conventional Fighters.  Here's a link to the MUL as best as I can filter it.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit?Name=&HasBFAbility=&HasBV=true&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=0&MaxBV=1800&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&Types=17&SubTypes=25&SubTypes=44&BookAuto=&Factions=29&Factions=77&Factions=55&AvailableEras=15

Its worth pointing out that because over half of the Huscarl configurations are over the 1800 BV limit, we probably can't take a Huscarl.  This leaves us with 33 different Aerospace Fighters to choose from.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »

What is the DAR4-XP out of?  

Cutlass would be available currently, but its sitting at 2663 BV.

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »

As you can probably see (once you click to the readable versions), we're going to be in some hurt on the ASF side.  ASF Battle values tend to trend high, because they have a very high offensive multiplier due to their ability to mount a larger proportion of their mass as weaponry.  1800 BV2 puts us in the "Intro-tech" category for pretty much everything.

There's a few notable exceptions though.  The BIG one is the fact that we can take all of the Dagger configurations (well, we have the BV to take the DAR4-XP variant...with an XXL engine, Binary Laser, and VSMPLs with an extra MP of speed and 1550-ish BV2...but I'm not sure Travis will let us have that).  

The Dagger is a 3067 Omnifighter (Fighter of the Week article) which is notable for relatively high speed compared to what it fights against (fighters in the 40-70 ton range) and basically being carved directly from a solid brick of Ferro-Aluminium.  It's rather well protected, for something of its size.

Taking a pair of Daggers is, frankly, almost a no-brainer.  Not only are they signature Davion fighters, but they're probably the least likely of what we can actually afford to go away.  Hell, they're entirely capable of surviving Lawn Darts (which means we'll have to roll it out...but we've got good odds of still having a plane left at the end of the process).

I completely agree with taking a pair of Daggers.

The other two fighters should be reserved for a "role".  Assuming we take a pair of Daggers to fill the "fast dogfighter" role, the roles left to fill are "attack bird", "recon/interceptor", and "dogfighter".  My recommendations for each of those are as follows:

Interceptor/Recon:
-7D Sparrowhawk.  10/15 with x2 MPLs, x2 ERMLs, good armor, and DHS
-S4 Sai.  8/12 with an ERPPC and a pair of ArtiIV-equipped SRM4s.  Kind of slow for the role, though.

Dogfighter
CSR-12D Corsair. 6/9 with a crapton of X-pulse lasers (but we're in 3130 so that's cool).  Heavy armor, but unsure about heat.
F-92 Stingray.  6/9 with DHS and an ERPPC over a pair of ERLLs.  Looks sexy as hell.
EGL-R11 Eagle.  6/9 with DHS, and an ERPPC over a pair of LPLs.  Looks kinda dumb, but fires accurately.
MOAR DAGGARS!!!1eleventy1!

Attack Craft (holy hell are we limited here)
Huscarl D. Slow and light for an attack craft (75 tons), it's got a shedload of pulse lasers slaved to a TComp for Wild Weasel duty.
W-7 Chippewa.  x4 LPLs, x2 MPLs, x2 LRM15s, some other stuff.  Fair number of heat sinks (DHS).  What is this "armor" of which you speak?
K-5, 10, or 15 Stuka.  Introtech, 100ton attack bird.  Subvariants basically mess with secondary weapons and play with the number of heat sinks.  All of them mount at least 4 LLs, an LRM20, and some SRMs.  Single Heat Sinks...

So the question becomes...what do you want our ASFs to do?  That will probably help narrow the choices down.

Oh, and I'm unsure about the availability of the CUT-01D Cutlass, from TRO:3145: AFFS.  I don't have the BV2 handy, nor an intro date (it won't be up on the MUL for another several months).

Of the fighters you named, we don't have access to the Sai -S4, Eagle -R11, Huscarl D, Stuka -K10, and Stuka -K15.  All of the Aerospace Fighters from TRO: 3145 Federated Suns are unfortunately over the BV limit.  For the role of the remaining two fighters, I think having a couple attack craft would be useful, but we're pretty much limited to just the Stuka there as I really don't like the Chippewa's lack of armor.  It may just be best to double down on dogfighters, but again, you know more about Aerotech than I do, so I'll pretty much go along with whatever you think is the best option.

What is the DAR4-XP out of? 

XTRO: Davion

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »

For anyone that needs it, here's a link to the MUL listing of battlemechs we're allowed to select for this campaign:

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit?Name=&HasBFAbility=&HasBV=true&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=0&MaxBV=1800&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&Types=18&BookAuto=&Factions=29&Factions=77&Factions=55&AvailableEras=15

By GM ruling, we're not allowed to select any Black Hawk-KU, Templar, or Sunder configurations, so disregard those mechs being on the above linked list.

In addition, we have access to the following battlemechs from TRO: 3145 Federated Suns:

Prey Seeker PY-SR10
Gunsmith CH11-NG
Hollander III BZK-D1
Hollander III BZK-D2
Hollander III BZK-D3
Scarecrow UCU-F4
Scarecrow UCU-F4r "Hobbled Scarecrow"
Antlion LK-D3
Centurion CN11-O
Centurion CN11-OA
Centurion CN11-OB
Centurion CN11-OC
Centurion CN11-OD
Centurion CN11-OE
Black Knight BLK-NT-3A

Lastly, we also have access to the Hound HD-2F from TRO: 3145 Mercenaries as it is specifically constructed in the Filtvelt Coalition.

Riegien

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »

Also, if you can find references that would place a unit of the period in this group or it is an appropriate RAT, feel free to bring it up.  For example, the Specter BA fluff talks about how it is produced by the Calderon Protectorate, but a large number were shipped to the Filtvelt Coalition, and the Exhumer is in the 3145 AFFS RAT.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 12:44:26 AM »

DoG:  for transportation purposes, all BA counts as 1 ton, so us the hacks ability to carry more to battle.  For BA, I would like to take either all Cavaliers or All Infiltrator MK II for the anti mech ability.  I have a preference to Infiltrator, but thats just my Blake, Cappie side showing through.

For ASF:  I am all for 4 Daggers, as they work for both inteceptor and strike abilities.  If not that then I would like Corsair as they are an ok all around fighter.

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 02:08:43 AM »

DoG:  for transportation purposes, all BA counts as 1 ton, so us the hacks ability to carry more to battle.  For BA, I would like to take either all Cavaliers or All Infiltrator MK II for the anti mech ability.  I have a preference to Infiltrator, but thats just my Blake, Cappie side showing through.

Well there's another rule I've been playing wrong for years.  I admittedly have only run battle armor a handful of times before, but I'm not really sold on anti-mech attacks being all that worthwhile most of the time.  As for the Infiltrator vs. Cavalier debate, the only thing Cavaliers do better is clear out conventional infantry, which is honestly what I find myself using battle armor for the most.  Overall, I'm fine with ditching the heavy suits from some additional Infiltrators if that's what you want to do.  Do you have a particular Infiltrator variant in mind?

For ASF:  I am all for 4 Daggers, as they work for both inteceptor and strike abilities.  If not that then I would like Corsair as they are an ok all around fighter.

4 Daggers is probably the best option, but I feel like a couple Corsairs or Stingrays would give us some potentially tactically crucial style points.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10