CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?  (Read 26264 times)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun, chummers! Do you speak it?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:51 PM »

Rusty (in spirit at least - sorry man  :-\ )
Hey, I can still offer emotional/canon/lore/whatever support, as needed.  I'd pit my SR collection against...well...anyone's, anywhere, actually.   ;D  Just PM me if you have some obscure background questions or anything, man, or to pick my brain for horrible, monstrous, unholy, things to do to the poor, unsuspecting, bastards -- err, I mean, players.

Shadowrun

Type: File Folder
Size: 4.30 GB (4,627,585,365 bytes)
Size on disk: 4.30 GB (4,628,271,104 bytes)
Contains: 333 files, 25 folders

Created: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 8:28:31 AM

If you've got a canon published 1e, 2e, or 3e resource I DON'T have access to, I'll eat my hat.  Well, no - I like my hat.  I'll eat...something...

;)

Critias

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »

I've only got my 4th edition stuff in pdf, all my 1-3 is in sweet, glorious, hardcopy form...and, stacked atop each other, is over 5 feet tall. 

Part of the packing/unpacking process was me organizing our game books to be boxed up, and then for fun comparing the height of each stack of books to my wife -- organized by company -- to see which one scored highest on the Felicia-o-meter.  Our combined World of Darkness won out, but largely because it was a ton of Vampire and Werewolf stuff (plus a little Mage, Wraith, and Changeling), it was my and her collections, and because so many of their books are swanky, and thick, hardcovers.

For some reason, I did Earthdawn, Battletech, and Shadowrun all separately.  Even not counting boxed sets, my FASA/Catalyst stack would have stomped White Wolf's ass, if I'd done it right.  Suffice it to say I've got quite a few well-loved, dog-eared, old SR1 and SR2 books.  ;)  Shadowrun was my first RPG, ever, and it shows on my bookshelf.  Hell, SR's how I met my wife.  *grins*  So while I'm sure you don't need it, the offer stands, is all I'm sayin'.  If you just want to kick ideas around, you can get ahold of me.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »

I've only got my 4th edition stuff in pdf, all my 1-3 is in sweet, glorious, hardcopy form...and, stacked atop each other, is over 5 feet tall. 

Sweet, man.  I've only got about 3 linear feet of Shadowrun (also 1-3e...I only own one copy of the 4e core book and none of the 4e supplements).  You're probably who kept cleaning out the Half-price's around here of old SR stuff. 

And I'll keep the offer in mind.  I'll almost certainly be PMing you on occasion to make for "what can the players break" checks.  :thumbs-up smiley:

Critias

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:51 AM »

Dammit, now I want to run a giant crossover melee full of Earthdawn Adepts, Shadowrunners, and Mechwarriors against a bunch of angsty Werewolves and skinny Goth-kid Vampires.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 03:02:34 AM »

I'm in.  Looking forward to playing something that isn't all magical samurai, all the time, for the first time in a while.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 07:51:42 AM »

I'm in.  Looking forward to playing something that isn't all magical samurai, all the time, for the first time in a while.

Well we can make a magic samurai if you really want... ;D.  Or, we could make a cyber enhanced samurai who has no soul, so a copy of any Crane out there.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »

If you insist I can update Vector (aka The Orkbot 9000, now with more biostress!) to SR4A. I'd rather dust off the combat decker concept from a while back though.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »

OK, fast headcount.  It looks like we've got the following people for a campaign:

Mike
Travis
Brent
Brett
Rob Jordan

Is there ANYONE I'm missing?

Also, if possible, I'd like to get together THIS WEEK on Wednesday (9/1) at Brent/Brett's (to be known now collectively as BB) place, at 6:30pm, to to character creation.  If that WILL NOT work for you, please post here ASAP.  If that won't work for anyone - late notice, I know - see if the following week (9/8) will work for you.

Thanks!

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

I know that Trav is out of town, and I believe that he is returning later than Wen night.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 01:04:22 AM »

This is correct, I am in New Orleans currently, visiting my sister (Goddess grant me patience).  I will be out till 9/4 most likely.

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »

Wednesday should be fine. I'll PM my address to everyone later once I am not typing on my phone.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »

This is correct, I am in New Orleans currently, visiting my sister (Goddess grant me patience).  I will be out till 9/4 most likely.

OK, Travis, since you're the only one out, can I meet with you after you get back for a 1-on-1 character creation session?

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »

Location sent via PM.  If anyone in the game didn't get it, contact me or post in here.

Closest landmark is the Frisch's Mainliner for those that are familiar with Mariemont and environs.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 12:56:40 AM »

Preliminary Shadowrun House Rules List

This is not exhaustive, and all rules are considered to be up for discussion on Wednesday night.  All house rules are in ADDITION to the listed restrictions on character creation (so you're still limited to Availability 12 or less on equipment, 35 points of Disadvantages, and so forth)

THE GAME YEAR IS 2054

Character Creation
1) All PCs must begin play with at least 2 months of Low Lifestyle

2) No PC may start with more than 1 item of Alpha-grade cyberware.  Cyberware items with multiple components (such as an eye with Image Magnification, UV vision, and Flare Compensators) count as 1 item, but ALL components therein must be Alpha-grade.

3) No PC may start with more than 1 item of Cultured Bioware.

4) Fake Licenses are attached to specific Fake SINs, and are broken down according to "type" or restricted or illegal item.  So a character might have:
-Rating 4 SIN w/Rating 3 Pistol, Rating 2 Foci, and Rating 4 Fetish licenses
-Rating 3 SIN w/Rating 4 Cyber, Bioware, Explosives, Pistol, Submachinegun, and Longarm Licenses.

5) Weapon Specializations are by weapon model, not by weapon class.  Thus, you could specialize in the "Ruger Warhawk" or "Ares Predator" (which would apply to an Ares Predator I, II, III, or IV), but not "Automatic Pistols" or "Revolvers".  Various upgrades and sundry will have no effect on Weapon Specialization - an AK-98a1 with Suppressor, Folding Stock, and Laser Sight will gain the same Weapon Specialization bonus as an AK-98a2 with an underbarrel pistol grip and a smartlink.  Note that the fluff descriptions may indicate that two weapons are the same model.  If there is a question, please ask.

6) All PCs receive one FREE Rank 1/1 contact of their choosing, subject to GM approval (no...Lofwyr is NOT your contact).  It is HIGHLY recommended that PCs start with multiple, fleshed-out contacts (between 2-5 contacts is safe).

Dice Caps
1) No skill may roll greater than 15 dice (so 16+ is out) at game-on.  You may have combinations of Attribute+Skill+Cyber+whatever that add up to more than this...but you'll be capped at 15 dice at game-on.  This cap is applied before situational modifiers.  This cap will increase as the campaign goes longer.

Social Skill Modifiers from Cyber/Bioware
1) All characters will take a -??? Dice penalty for each FULL POINT of "visible" cyberware they have.  "Visible" is defined as "when it's obvious you're sporting some 'ware".  So Active Wired Reflexes will count toward this (but if you've got the cyber that shuts them down and they're turned off, they won't count), as will solid-silver cybereyes or a 'chromed cyberlimb with a gun on it.  Dermal Plating might only count if you're in swim trunks.  A Cerebral Booster pretty much won't count at all. This dice penalty will vary depending on the social situation.  Talking to a wage drone might net you a -1 per point penalty, or talking to a philanthropist at a fancy dress ball might net a -2 or greater penalty...while talking to another Street Sam in a 'runner bar might be penalized only -1 per 2 points of cyber (there will always be a penalty of some sort...cyberware is inherently dehumanizing and part of the modifier doesn't just reflect the target's reaction to you, but how well you're able to engage with them as well).

The Matrix  
1) The Wireless Matrix is new to the world of Shadowrun in 2050...  Swathes of non-urban area are not likely to be Wireless-accessible (zone with a lower Security Rating than C, generally speaking), and the snootier AA or better Security Zones are going to have well-secured Wireless access, occasionally with jammers to cut it out completely.  Headjacks are NOT dead yet...
-No, there are no cyberdecks - you're still using your commlink.  Just ensure your commlink can talk to your headware (skinlinks are a good start) and you'll be good.  Let's not overthink this, yeah?

2) You cannot roll more dice on a Matrix-related test than (2+3(Logic)) for Hackers, or (2+3(Resonance)) for Technomancers.  This ensures that Matrix characters cannot TOTALLY dump their attributes.

EDGE
1) Edge does not automatically refresh at the beginning of a session or at dawn each day, but will refresh upon completion of in-game tasks, roleplaying moments, and/or GM's discretion.  Thusly, having an Edge score greater than 1 or 2 is recommended.

General Gameplay
1) I don't do "exploits" of the system (hacking your guns or cyber, snipers everywhere, etc) unless a) you're running against a serious target and it makes sense in-universe to run into that sort of thing...or b) you do them first.  Engaging in an arms race with the GM is usually futile.  If you want to take advantage of an exploit, be SURE that you're willing to have it done back to you 2 or 3 sessions down the road.

2) There is a general cap of 3 Initiative Passes from any source (so Street Sams can have Wired Reflexes 2, etc).  In NO circumstances may magic-users of any type place an Initiative-boosting or Reaction-enhancement spell into a Sustaining Focus.  If additional hits on a spell would result in greater than 3 IPs, additional IPs are lost (Drain, etc is not affected).  I recommend people try for around 2 IPs for all but the most heavily-chromed, speed-themed characters, and I won't have to break out high-init NPCs in return.

If you have questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask, here or on Wednesday.  These are NOT YET set in Stone...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:23:42 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »

Regarding the Matrix dice cap, was the intent to cap at 14 dice?  In the absence of certain expensive 'ware that's the cap assuming super genius levels of logic.

I'd suggest 2 + 3(Logic) as the formula. That would cap an average (2 Logic) hacker at 8 DP while a genius (Logic 6) could hit the RAW cap of 20.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5