CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Public Review: Campaign Rules v3.0  (Read 2086 times)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
Re: Public Review: Campaign Rules v3.0
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »

In v2.2, it states  "Immediately following the game, each injured unit member should be assigned to a Lance doctor.  Each doctor can handle up to 2 patients.  After a battle, each wounded person should be assigned to a doctor.  On the following day, and on each successive day, the doctor will make one Medicine skill roll per patient assigned to them."

So we are changing that to each successive week now?
I believe so. The discussion at the end of the last game indicated that healing is currently too easy, i.e. head hits aren't scary/expensive enough.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »

In v2.2, it states  "Immediately following the game, each injured unit member should be assigned to a Lance doctor.  Each doctor can handle up to 2 patients.  After a battle, each wounded person should be assigned to a doctor.  On the following day, and on each successive day, the doctor will make one Medicine skill roll per patient assigned to them."

I believe so. The discussion at the end of the last game indicated that healing is currently too easy, i.e. head hits aren't scary/expensive enough.

Which makes designating a second in command of the lance a good idea.  Speaking of which, rather than Leftenant, Ensign or Lieutenant JG would make more sense, or possibly SGT Major.  The majority of lances are led by Lieutenants.

ItsTehPope

• Pontificus Rex
  • Administrator
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »

Which makes designating a second in command of the lance a good idea.  Speaking of which, rather than Leftenant, Ensign or Lieutenant JG would make more sense, or possibly SGT Major.  The majority of lances are led by Lieutenants.

Ensign Junior Grade (Poor dumb Harry Kim...)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »

The rank structure (which matters to us) that AtB can support goes like this:

LTJG
LTSG
Captain (company command)
Major (battalion command)
Colonel (regimental command)

The Founding Lance Leaders are all designated via LTSG tags, and the newer Lance Leaders which come in are designated by LTJG tags.  I can't add a rank (Ensign), but my suggestion is going to be to bump all Lance Leaders up to LTSG at the end of the contract, and in the future reserve the LTJG tag for a lance XO from now on.  That sound reasonable?

From a rules perspective (I never put this into the rules doc because I didn't ever anticipate it mattering; whoops), in the AtB campaign, for a character to act an an executive officer of the unit and contribute a Strategy/Tactics rating, they have to actually BE an officer.  Hence, executive officer.  Which means that a sergeant can't contribute a S/T rating.  This has technically been true for all the NPCs you've faced.  Hat is totally correct that with the change to the AtB medical rules, suddenly having a chain of command inside your lance matters. 

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »

I like the LTSG and LTJG designations.  It keeps things clear and prevents frequent brevet ranks.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »

From a rules perspective (I never put this into the rules doc because I didn't ever anticipate it mattering; whoops), in the AtB campaign, for a character to act an an executive officer of the unit and contribute a Strategy/Tactics rating, they have to actually BE an officer.  Hence, executive officer.  Which means that a sergeant can't contribute a S/T rating.  This has technically been true for all the NPCs you've faced.  Hat is totally correct that with the change to the AtB medical rules, suddenly having a chain of command inside your lance matters. 
Which just goes to show the value of a little bit of review for rules revisions, so we can catch some of the secondary implications. This is also good from a campaign perspective as well, since people will now need to worry about non-combat skill advancement for more than just their PC. It will also change the choices for the solo missions.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »

I like the LTSG and LTJG designations.  It keeps things clear and prevents frequent brevet ranks.

Just remember that LTJG is an "officer" rank.  Which means you'll have to pay your XO more.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

Just remember that LTJG is an "officer" rank.  Which means you'll have to pay your XO more.
That's fine, she can also go forth and duel aces for me.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »

Ok, updated my lance to reflect the new XO.  She makes more money now than my PC.  :)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »

Actually one other question - what are the rules for fielding an injured pilot, PC or otherwise?  Perhaps something like 1 or 2 boxes willing if needed, 3 or more boxes can't get medical clearance?  With the possibility of multiple missions a week and a week per box of healing we may need to either stock up on pilots or have some way to field the walking wounded.  An entire contract with 5 missions could be resolved in less than a month.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »

Actually one other question - what are the rules for fielding an injured pilot, PC or otherwise?  Perhaps something like 1 or 2 boxes willing if needed, 3 or more boxes can't get medical clearance?  With the possibility of multiple missions a week and a week per box of healing we may need to either stock up on pilots or have some way to field the walking wounded.  An entire contract with 5 missions could be resolved in less than a month.

...why do you think you have a stable of up to 8 pilots when you can only field 4 at a time?

Also, there aren't rules for fielding a wounded pilot.  You want to field them, go right ahead.  They have the wounds that aren't healed yet.  Unless there's a Major Injury preventing them from going, of course.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

If a support unit participates via BSP, does it gain XP for the game under v3.0 rules? Under 2.X?

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

Minimum Ranks

MechWarrior - Sergeant
Lance XO - LT JG
Lance Leader - LT SG
Company Commander - CPT
Unit XO - MAJ
Unit Commander - COL

Vehicle Crewman - Corporal
Vehicle Commander - Sergeant

ASF Pilot - Chief PO
ASF Group XO - Master Chief PO
ASF Group CO - LT JG

Large Vessel Crewman - Spaceman
Hyperspace Navigator - LT JG
Large Vessel Pilot - Chief Petty Officer
DropShip Commander - Commander
JumpShip Commander - Captain

Administrator - Sergeant
Administrator Commander - LT JG

Doctor - LT JG

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »

If a support unit participates via BSP, does it gain XP for the game under v3.0 rules? Under 2.X?

Only units which actually appear on the battlefield gain XP.

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »

OK, I think I've caught everything up into the document.  There's been a wholesale reorganization as well, plus the addition of a table of contents which is actually functional.  Unless you people find something that needs dealt with, this is going to be what we go with after this contract ends.  So look it over hard now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3