CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Custom Mech feedback sought  (Read 934 times)

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Kibitzing from the sidelines
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Mech feedback sought
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 07:16:43 PM »

True, but some mission types make much more use of BAP in particular. The find the communications building or find the unit headquarters type missions make use of BAP. We just haven't drawn one of those missions in a while.

Fair.  I can modify the Vindy to replace the 4 MGs and 1 ML with 2 SPLs and BAP.  Just need to be able to order the part from the FWL.
Option 1: Contract in Capellan Confederation
Option 2: Contract in FWL (Or transit through it to whack the CC)
Option 3: Next year in FS or LA. Depending on the contract length and travel time, that could be next contract.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »

It’ll take some time to finish getting The Tbolt the way I want it as I’m a couple million C-bills in parts away.  Always good to have a long term plan.

Ice

• Over-Caffinated, Over-Sexed, and Over Here
  • Colonel
  • I BROUGHT MY HAMMER/GOD HAVE MERCY FOR WHOM I FACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »

I would say 2 erppc 3 ml is adequate for what your trying to do if possible maybe add a flamer or 2 to deal with infantry and vehicles the main issue comes with tonnage to place dhs

The reason it is better is because the consistent range advantage...over anything else roughly plus no min range although you lose roughly 2 damage over each average volley if not even out if it's a standard

Artemis gives a more consistent 3 damage average or so per volley but how much ammo is to much ammo no more than 2 tons is what I would suggest with risk of ammo boom come want of case as well
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:51:53 PM by Ice »
Die Clanner!!!!

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »

I would say 2 erppc 3 ml is adequate for what your trying to do if possible maybe add a flamer or 2 to deal with infantry and vehicles the main issue comes with tonnage to place dhs

The reason it is better is because the consistent range advantage...over anything else roughly plus no min range although you lose roughly 2 damage over each average volley if not even out if it's a standard

Artemis gives a more consistent 3 damage average or so per volley but how much ammo is to much ammo no more than 2 tons is what I would suggest with risk of ammo boom come want of case as well

I've looked at the 2 ER PPC, 2 ML, 1 SPL and ECM build as well as one that has 1 ER PPC, 1 ER LL, 3 ML, 2 SPL and ECM (+14 DHS).  Part of my challenge with these builds is that they're not that much more combat effective than the LRM 15 with Artemis / ER LL build and they're 50 - 100 BV more expensive.  The LRM 15 (art) + ER LL does 20 points of damage on average if both weapons hit triggering a piloting check and is fairly heat efficient even with jumping.  The ER LL / ER PPC build doesn't and while the 2 ER PPC version does, it's very heat inefficient and lacks as much punch at short range.  If BV weren't an issue I might take a different tact.  In terms of tons of ammo, 2 is plenty.  Firing every round would last for 16 rounds and we won't get through that much typically in a battle.

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »

I've looked at the 2 ER PPC, 2 ML, 1 SPL and ECM build as well as one that has 1 ER PPC, 1 ER LL, 3 ML, 2 SPL and ECM (+14 DHS).  Part of my challenge with these builds is that they're not that much more combat effective than the LRM 15 with Artemis / ER LL build and they're 50 - 100 BV more expensive.  The LRM 15 (art) + ER LL does 20 points of damage on average if both weapons hit triggering a piloting check and is fairly heat efficient even with jumping.  The ER LL / ER PPC build doesn't and while the 2 ER PPC version does, it's very heat inefficient and lacks as much punch at short range.  If BV weren't an issue I might take a different tact.  In terms of tons of ammo, 2 is plenty.  Firing every round would last for 16 rounds and we won't get through that much typically in a battle.

Right I was saying that the best for lengevity would be the 2 erppc but the dhs and extra firepower needed might not have the room.
The artemis works its just you have to maintain the range which when it does hit it spreads unlike the ppc.

In all the damage ratio is probably better slightly with the artemis but there is a lot of things that can go wrong if its isolated and rushed by lighter mechs.
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »

There are two other issues to consider. An LRM launcher can fire indirectly, which can be a major tactical advantage. Energy weapons have no ammo to run out or explode. The choice will often be one of play style.

Also, have you looked at conventional PPCs? They are range competitive with ER Large Lasers, with higher damage and lower heat. The minimum range will be less of a burden in a highly mobile unit and the weight savings in heat sinks may allow you to mount some secondary weapons.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »

<snip>In all the damage ratio is probably better slightly with the artemis but there is a lot of things that can go wrong if its isolated and rushed by lighter mechs.

I have LOTS of experience with getting ripped apart by lighter mechs.  ;)

Ice

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »

<snip>In all the damage ratio is probably better slightly with the artemis but there is a lot of things that can go wrong if its isolated and rushed by lighter mechs.

I have LOTS of experience with getting ripped apart by lighter mechs.  ;)

LOL I forgot already
Die Clanner!!!!

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »

Wormfeast Lance?

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »

There are two other issues to consider. An LRM launcher can fire indirectly, which can be a major tactical advantage. Energy weapons have no ammo to run out or explode. The choice will often be one of play style.

Also, have you looked at conventional PPCs? They are range competitive with ER Large Lasers, with higher damage and lower heat. The minimum range will be less of a burden in a highly mobile unit and the weight savings in heat sinks may allow you to mount some secondary weapons.

Mounting 2 standard PPCs may be the better approach.  Weapons load then is 2 PPCs (RT, RA), 3 ML (LT), 2 SPL (LA), ECM (LT), 11 DHS, 5/8/5 and 208 Std armor.  BV: 1816  I'd need to get upgrade the Vindy and the PHawk at the same time to keep within the BV limits, but it's workable.  I'm going to swap out a DHS on the Royal Shadow Hawk for a couple more JJ.  The 3 Jump is annoying.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 11:22:57 PM »

Wormfeast Lance?

I thought that was Deadly.  He was the one offering to get destroyed in the upcoming mission.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »

I have not a mech yet. Gotten close a couple times, but to no avail. I have been fairly lucky about death of a mech in this campaign.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »

Fair enough.  I made my 3 'Mech donation.  Hopefully I'm done for a while.

Timberwolfd

• Administrator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 11:41:48 PM »

I would reverse the ML and SPLs. Most of the time you will want a little more oomph in the arm to reach out and touch someone behind you. And, since I assume that the SPLs are for infantry, I should point out that you will almost always be faster than the conventional infantry you can hurt with SPLs. So you can control the engagement distance and direction, lessening the impact of torso mounting.

ECM is okay, but not really as useful as it should be. If you haven't looked recently, take another look at the EC<=M rules and see what it actually blocks. As a recon lance, BAP is probably more useful.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 11:51:16 PM »

I would reverse the ML and SPLs. Most of the time you will want a little more oomph in the arm to reach out and touch someone behind you. And, since I assume that the SPLs are for infantry, I should point out that you will almost always be faster than the conventional infantry you can hurt with SPLs. So you can control the engagement distance and direction, lessening the impact of torso mounting.

ECM is okay, but not really as useful as it should be. If you haven't looked recently, take another look at the EC<=M rules and see what it actually blocks. As a recon lance, BAP is probably more useful.

The 3 ML are already mounted in the LT, standard placement for a Tbolt.  Likewise, the SPLs replace the MGs that were mounted in the LA.  As for ECM vs. BAP, ruleswise, I expect you're correct.  Thematically as a sneaky lance it feels like there should be one ECM equipped unit.
Pages: 1 [2]