CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Force Creation Discussion  (Read 20936 times)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
Re: Force Creation Discussion
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

Switch it with something quicker.  The only real choice is the scarecrow, as I think the command lance needs the ECM that the hellspawn provides. 

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

Switch it with something quicker.  The only real choice is the scarecrow, as I think the command lance needs the ECM that the hellspawn provides. 

Oh, I thought you meant something else BESIDES the Scarecrow.

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

Okay, so it sounds like we're done generating forces.

Riegien

• Unicorn Clan Triumphant
  • Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »

Do you have a finalized version of your lance lists?

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

Do you have a finalized version of your lance lists?

Here's Rob's list with the agreed upon changes made:

Lance 1 - C3 Lance 1.
1) Fennec FEC-1CM - TAG
2) Enforcer III ENF-6NAIS
3) Axman AXM-3Sr - ECM
4) Thunderbolt TDR-9Nr - ECM, Bloodhound

Lance 2 - C3 Lance 2.
1) Cyclops CP-11-C - TAG
2) Warhammer WHM-8D
3) Axman AXM-3Sr - ECM
4) Thanatos TNS-4T - ECM

Lance 3 - "Command" Lance
1) Marauder MAD-5T
2) Griffin GRF-6S
3) Shadow Hawk SHD-5D
4) Hellspawn HSN-10SR - ECM, TAG, Beagle

Lance 4 - "Battle" Lance.
1) Avatar G
2) Centurion Omni A
3) Bushwacker BSW-S2r
4) Blackjack Omni D

Lance 5 - "Recon" lance.
1) Stealth STH-2D2 - TAG
2) Jaguar 2 - TAG, Active Probe
3) Scarecrow UCU-F4 - Bloodhound
4) Firestarter FS9-S3 - ECM

Edit: Edited to include variant numbers.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:10:39 PM by Death or Glory »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2013, 02:47:35 AM »

Hey, do we have a paint scheme?  I have a Hellspawn and a pair of JES IIs that I can work on while commission paintjobs are drying.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:12:27 AM by Darrian Wolffe »

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »

Since it's an ad-hoc force, I was planning to use different schemes. My Axman and Cyclops will be 17th Avalon Hussars, and my Enforcer III and Stealth are RotS Republic Standing Guard.

Originally, they were all going to be 17th, but then Gunji started his paint-along and I decided that I might as well use units that I needed to paint anyway. So it might be somewhat odd to have Republic Standing Guard in the group, but lots of RotS forces were caught outside the fortress. These guys were on an assignment in Prefecture IV.  :D

I have a Chippewa btw (not sure if I have all the parts, but I think I do); should I get it painted up, or does someone else already have a couple ready to go?

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »

Hey, do we have a paint scheme?  I have a Hellspawn and a pair of JES IIs that I can work on while commission paintjobs are drying.

Mike indicated earlier that he thought a lack of unified paint scheme would be appropriate for our unit due to its ad hoc nature.

Since it's an ad-hoc force, I was planning to use different schemes. My Axman and Cyclops will be 17th Avalon Hussars, and my Enforcer III and Stealth are RotS Republic Standing Guard.

Originally, they were all going to be 17th, but then Gunji started his paint-along and I decided that I might as well use units that I needed to paint anyway. So it might be somewhat odd to have Republic Standing Guard in the group, but lots of RotS forces were caught outside the fortress. These guys were on an assignment in Prefecture IV.  :D

I have a Chippewa btw (not sure if I have all the parts, but I think I do); should I get it painted up, or does someone else already have a couple ready to go?

I believe the Capellan March Militia and Republic Standing Guard use basically the same paint scheme, so green and red units aren't really a problem.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

While painting in different forces may be thematically appropriate, it also can create chaos on the table.  So, while a few in a different scheme here and there are ok, I believe we need consistent colors.  

So looking at the Davion March militias I have come to the conclusion that Davion's are dickish in their paint schemes.  I would say Draconis MM, but painting red mechs to go against red mechs seems boring.  There seem to be enough davion units that use a blue/red/white for that to be generic enough.  So in the interest of not painting white, I submit that our colors should be blue highlighted with red.  

(disclaimers 1) this is not a CO decision, so is open to debate. 2) I am not a fine arts major, so this might be incredibly unpalatable on the eyes)

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

OK, from an artistic perspective, what you generally want is a unifying aesthetic throughout a force.  The easiest way to do that is to paint everything the same color.  Duh, right?

The next easiest way to do that is to make all the bases match.  Use the same flocking, dirt, and base edge color for all units of a given force.  That way, even if the paint schemes on the actual minis differ, you've got a uniform element to all the minis.  Trouble is, we all have different flock and base fill, and I'd expect it's unreasonable to ask everybody to go buy Woodland Scenics Brown Fine Ballast and Citadel Modeling Grass.

So, there's a third way to do it.

Everyone can paint "mostly" what they want, but everybody ends up with an identical unifying color across each of their individual schemes.  The BEST example I can think of for us is "Davion Green".  So, for example, let's assume for a moment that we all agree that Davion Green is a 1-to-1 equivalent to GW Snot Green (a bad choice, but roll with it).  Here's a list of units that incorporate Davion Green into their paint scheme:

1st Kittery Borderers      (green on green camo)
1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry       (Green w/white panels)
1st Capellan Dragoons      (green & black countercharged)
20th Avalon Hussars      (light gray with tan and green paneling)
42nd Avalon  Hussars      (light gray with tan and green paneling)
1st Chisholm's Raiders      (no cohesive paint scheme...but the unit is nicknamed "The GREEN Giant")
ALL Capellan March Militia units      (green with red paneling)
ALL NAIS Cadet Cadre units      (flat Davion Green)
ALL Cruicis Lancers units      (they all use a base of Davion Green, paneled with other colors)
ALL Syrtis Fusiliers units     (flat Green)

...that's a pretty wide selection of units.  yeah, it leaves out the Davion Guards, New Ivaarson Chausseurs, Robinson Rangers, Deneb Light Cav, and the Draconis March and Cruicis March Militia regiments...but we're still talking more than half the FedSuns TO&E being available to choose from.

Therefore, my suggestion is to choose a color shared by a lot of units.  We agree on a single color from a single supplier (Citadel Snot Green, Vallejo 70.968 #83 Flat Green, etc), and everybody paints some units with that color included.  Additionally, we all color all base edges black (no manufacturer equivalency needed for that...).  This plan also has the side bonus of ensuring that nobody has to do more than buy a single color of paint - especially if we go with the green since there's a lot of units that just use the flat green with no paneling.  That makes a minimal financial effort for everyone.

That's two points of uniformity while still letting people paint the units they want.  Make sense?

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

I definitely see the benefit to having a consistent scheme, but I also think we may be over-thinking it a little. I asked this question back when this thread first started, and Travis answered that our forces were likely to be fairly fluid: http://forums.cincybattletech.com/index.php?topic=455.msg4461#msg4461

I think the idea is that missions are likely to be tough, and casualties are expected, and replacement units will come in. Since we don't actually have PC's, I'd think we can expect to see our TO&E change on a regular basis. So, is it worth it to define a consistent color scheme for mechs that could potentially be cored in the opening mission and not used again for awhile? Are we going to expect the replacement mechs to be similarly painted, or will we simply grab the best-painted replacements we've got available?

Just presenting the other side here, I'm happy to go with the group.

My RotS units already fit into the "Davion green" scheme just fine. I used Vallejo Reflective Green (890), if anyone cares, which is readily available at Hobby Lobby. It actually has a much more Davion green look to it than the olive drab that the RotS scheme calls for when basecoated.

That being said, I don't intend to strip my Axman.  ;D

Black Omega

• Unrepentant Kell Hound Fanboy
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

Okay, question time.  Are we expected to supply the mini's that we chose for the unit?

I do have 2 Axemen that need a good paint job.  I can move them to the top of my cue.  Of the mechs I chose, I have a Griffin that I wouldn't mind repainting.  I am less inclined to repaint my red/grey Shadow Hawk and I don't own a Firestarter.  I still have some finishing touches to do on my "Green Arrow" Avatar and I don't know if the greens will match but if someone wants to use it that's fine with me. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:19:38 PM by Black Omega »
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »

I have an Avatar, Blackjack, Bushwacker, Centurion, Firestarter, and Warhammer all laying around unpainted.  I could probably get some painting done over winter break in December and January.  I was planning on painting the Battle Lance up in a tan and red scheme, but I'm pretty flexible in terms of what we do provided that its a fairly straightforward scheme.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »

Okay, question time.  Are we expected to supply the mini's that we chose for the unit?

That's true for myself, I'm supplying the Axman, Enforcer III, Stealth, and Cyclops that I chose. However, it's entirely possible that some people chose mechs they like, and yet do not have the minis for.

I think that's perfectly acceptable; however, if someone either doesn't have the minis they chose, or perhaps has them and yet has no inclination to paint them, I think they should let the group know so others can have the opportunity to provide the minis.

I do have 2 Axemen that need a good paint job.  I can move them to the top of my cue.  Of the mechs I chose, I have a Griffin that I wouldn't mind repainting.  I am less inclined to repaint my red/grey Shadow Hawk and I don't own a Firestarter.

I've got one Axman already, so you'd only need to paint one of yours. If you've got a Shadow Hawk in a paintjob you like, I wouldn't repaint it. I'm sure Rob alone has SHD's in every color of the rainbow. I've got a couple unpainted Firestarters, and I was actually thinking of painting one up after seeing your LAM jet exhaust mod. I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to paint one though, since I've still got a Cyclops to finish.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2013, 01:24:14 AM »

If this turns out as lethal as advertised, then I expect a good number of proxies.  And odd paint schemes on the field.  I would like a cohesive force, but short of the logistical planning that went into the Juneau landing game, it will be impossible to pull that fully off.

Now some base colors would be nice, and I like the suggestion of Davion green.  anyone else have a different color choice? 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]