CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On the exfil from Terra  (Read 3471 times)

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
On the exfil from Terra
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:22 PM »

Alright, it looks like it is up to the 741st to figure out how we are getting off the planet.  From what I see this is a multi step process.

1)  Pick a starport to bast off from.
2) Acquire a dropship
3) Defeat/Avoid Space Defense Systems
    3a)  Ground based
    3b)  Space based
4) Acquire a jumpship or warship to jump out of system
5) Continue to jump until we reestablish contact with SLDF High Command.

Have I missed any steps?

Now, I see two ways to accomplish this goal.

I)  We break into a SDS control point, hack the computers, and insert our flying away into the system.  We then steal a dropship, and hope they didn't notice our hacking.

2)  Steal an outbound schedule, find a dropship already authorized to leave, steal it, use it to jump out.

Right now these are just skeletons, and I'm not sure either is correct for our purposes.  Anyone have any other opinions, or better thoughts?

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: On the exfil from Terra
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

Stealing a dropship is relatively easy. Getting into orbit without a flight plan isn't.

Issues with stealing a dropship are as follows:

a) Taking it over while retaining a flight worthy hull.
b) Flying it. I'd guess Banzai's skills will allow him to fly a dropship, but I can't swear to it.

SDS can be taken out as indicated by Xin in several ways:

a) hack the system and insert a flight plan
b) hack the system to find a valid flight plan
c) insert a convincing blonde humanoid robot to seduce someone with the SDS codes and intorduce a computer virus

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »

c) insert a convincing blonde humanoid robot to seduce someone with the SDS codes and intorduce a computer virus

Death or Glory

• Showers
  • Command Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »

A lot of this depends on whether or not we intend to take our mechs with us when we head off planet.  Also, how locked down is Terra's aerospace traffic currently?  Is there any civilian dropship and jumpship traffic currently allowed in system?

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »

Good Questions.  To an extent, our ASF has been able to stay with us.  However, we are getting enemy air attacking us still, and so there is hostile cover.  I have not seen civie transport, but that does not mean that there is none.  Perhaps we can steal a newsfed when we go into town and save the civies. 

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:32:09 AM »

Is this thread IC?

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »

Is this thread IC?

No.  This is for brainstorming.

I had originally thought the idea of just stealing a dropship (through either combat or subterfuge) wasn't nearly enough, considering the need to jump out-system.  However, keep in mind that the RWR took over only a few days ago.  How widespread that news is already, I don't know.  But this is also Terra, so I'd assume there is very heavy space traffic.  Lot's of civvies, lots of military, coming and going every day.  Of course the Zenith and Nadir points will be well-guarded by the RWR fleet, but this is a large system and no doubt pirate jump-points in it have been mapped for centuries.

Maybe we could grab a civilian dropship, pile in, take off on a regularly scheduled flight-plan and then head towards a pirate jump point.  When an SLDF warship jumps in, we let them know where we are (or where we're going to be).  They'll immediately have to jump out, but eventually they'll come back for us by jumping to the pirate point we gave them, or they'll send someone else to do the same.  First, we'd have to establish that SLDF ships are still jumping into this system on a regular basis.

Posing as RWR forces on an actual assignment seems unrealistic, but we could try.  Attack a small garrison force somewhere, making sure to cut off their communications first, and essentially use our hacking skills to insert ourselves into the RWR TO&E.  Considering the likely disorganization they're experiencing right now during this coup, it might not be impossible.  Then we adjust our orders, have a dropship pick us up, and ship out.

Stealing a dropship and just heading out to the regular jump points might not be as difficult right now either, considering how recent this take-over is.  I'm sure the RWR is doing everything they can to keep the SDS from blowing up their own ships as well, which may be arriving on unscheduled jumps.  So, they've either got IFF codes (which we could steal) or they've temporarily shut the SDS down entirely (which we could find out).  The advantage of burning to a common jump-point is that there will be large numbers of potential jumpships to hook up with.  There may even be SLDF warships that jump in and jump back out a few minutes later, which would be ideal.  Of course, the disadvantage is that there are large numbers of potential enemies to deal with as well.  Could make for a very fun Aerotech scenario though.  :)

One other thing, we don't know if the Terran Hegemony and the SLDF are actually at war yet!  All we know is that there's been a coup (I'm assuming we know that by now, even though we haven't seen anything about it yet IC), and that we were attacked because the First Lord likely doesn't want units that aren't 100% loyal in his backyard.  The SLDF is technically still under the command of the First Lord.  Lord Amaris is likely still giving orders to the SLDF, and trying to maintain that control.  So while things at the jump points may be extremely tense, it might not be weapons free just yet.  That also would make it much easier for us to contact, hook up with, and jump out with an SLDF jumper if we can just make it to the jump-point.

I think it's imperative that we find out the following:

1)  What is happening at the zenith/nadir jump points?
2)  Is the SDS still active?
3)  Are there SLDF units in-system that are specifically looking to pick up lost units like ourselves?  There could be multiple Bug-Eye's sitting out there right now, trying to find and help us.  Is there a way to contact them?

Of course, there's always the option of just staying on Terra and causing as much damage as possible.

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »

Last option means that we will probably die or worse, get taken captive and be held by Amaris. I think it takes Kerensky about 5-7 yrs. to get back to Terra. Long time to hold out.

serrate

• Howe
  • Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »

Last option means that we will probably die or worse, get taken captive and be held by Amaris. I think it takes Kerensky about 5-7 yrs. to get back to Terra. Long time to hold out.

Well, yes, but /IC I'm quite sure that our General is on a direct burn for Terra at this very moment to save us all!   ;D

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »

IC: Schwepps gives a salute to Capt. Freund and states, "Well, in that case, lets go to town and kick Babcock's ass. I feel so assured, now.  ;D

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »

Ok,  the airport is right in front of us...and we need to get off this rock...

So here is what I have thought of that we need to do before we hit the airport. 

Here is a list in a semblance of order of what we need to figure out.

1)dropship
2) pilot
3) crew
4)  jumpship
5) SDS
6)warship/fighter intercept

So we need to figure out a lot of stuff.

[OOG:  we should have this done by Wen.  If I have to do it all I can...but there will be mistakes as I role play the effects of sleep deprivation.]

phlop

• Painting God
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

Do we have any ground pounders still in our little group? If so how many? May need these to take over a dropship. If we can take over a outbound ship, especially a commercial ship; the crew would probably not be as apt to fight back.
Hacking into the SDS, if possible would be good. If we can take the dropship that is leaving we may not have to worry about the SDS.
If we are intercepted by military aircraft, it will probably be lights out, been nice knowing you. 

Knightofargh

• Semper Senex Morosus
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

To my knowledge, counting Marshall and Callahan, we have two pseudo infantry and no real infantry.

Death or Glory

• Showers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »

Trying to smuggle ourselves out seems like a much more viable option to me than attempting to capture a dropship and a jumpship.

agustaaquila

• Backstabbing Capellan
  • Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »

Who said we need to capture a dropship?  I think that we can capture a dropship,  have some people in the group with the proper connections arrange for a pilot and crew, slice in orders to jump out of sol, and then move along outbound till we can contact the SLDF.  Thats not too coherient.

So here is what I suggest we do. Its a multipart operation

1) we kidnap the highest level Catholic priest we can find.

2)  Banzai makes contact with some Fedrat Dropship crew that is looking to get off planet.  We arriange that they show up at the airfield just after we hit it.

3)  We assault the airfield with mechs.  Srg Schweeps and the cpt lead the effort to destroy all on field defenders.

4)  Hawker and Xin break for the HPG as soon as the assault begins.  They get to the HPG and batch a message out to New Avalon that we are bringing a priest from Terra, and that we need safe transport to the planet.  They are responcible for getting this message off.

5) A team of Callihan and Marshall infliltrate the air control buiding.  After securing the place, Reed enters with Babcock and plant a clearance for a dropship to leave and dock with a antispinward jumpship.  USe babcock for this, and also classify the cargo as secret and do not disturb so that we don't have to deal with people wanting to enter our dropship.

6)  We all board the pacified dropship, and the dropship crew and pilot show up.  WE take off, and enjoy the several month transit while surviving on the MREs in the dropship.  We keep Babcock alive by feeding him the cheese omelet ones. 

7)....

8) Get Priest to absolve us for whatever sins we have committed, including his kidnapping.

9)  Profit.

10 figure out 2 more steps so this can be a 12 step plan

11)  Reconnect with any remnant of SLDF.

12)  Kill uppity periphery powers.

Pages: [1] 2