CincyBattletech

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reactor: Online.  Sensors: Online.  Weapons: Online.  All systems nominal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dragon Character Creation  (Read 4891 times)

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Character Creation
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »

To me it seems conceptually flawed to have a trait assigned by an inappropriate background.  The hatred was given as part of a Clan War Orphan background. It would seem appropriate to have a hatred for whoever caused tour parents to die. Not sure why it would just sit and float or what the rationale is to have a burning hatred for something you’ve never encountered.  Ultimately it’s Rob’s call and if he’s happy with it that’s fine. Just trying to understand the rationale.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

The hatred is actually applied by Lyran Alliance/Tamar as my starting house/faction.
Tamar: Quirk/Hatred of Clans, Edge +1
My assumpiton is that Tamar, later on will take the blunt of the Clan attacks. Once that happens, the quirk kicks in.
Donegal, another group under Lyran has Pro-Katherine Stigma, but reading on Sarna, Katherine does not take a position of power until the late 3050s

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

Overall, that was pretty light, but I should have been paying attention more to some items instead of others. My rolls, overall did not help much either.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »

No worries. The quirk was something I was curious about but not concerned. It’s a 1 point flaw. I probably put too much effort into character creation and go overboard ensuring my characters “fit” in whatever universe they’re being built for. My wife thinks I’m nuts, but I find character creation even to that extreme a fun exercise. 

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »

Good point. Should alter my character a bit and see what comes up..

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »

Done with this character. I am going to accept it as is now after my new changes.
Lock this thread so I cannot make anymore changes.
Unless I am able to buy other Natural Aptitudes at this stage? I meant to ask that earlier.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:04:45 PM by deadlyfire2345 »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »

Done with this character. I am going to accept it as is now after my new changes.
Lock this thread so I cannot make anymore changes.
Unless I am able to buy other Natural Aptitudes at this stage? I meant to ask that earlier.

A character may only EVER have a single Natural Aptitude.  MechWarrior 3rd edition, page 84.   If you're looking to buy more NAs, that's not legal.  If you already have more than one NA, then you need to go back and change stuff.

This rule exists, FWIW, because one of the huge advantages of being a Clan Trueborn is that they get two.  Don't feel bad.  You aren't the first person to not read the MW3e rules.  There's been at least one other PC who ran afoul of this, who attempted to buy NAs in all of: Piloting, Gunnery, Strategy, Tactics, Leadership, Negotiation, Scrounge, and Administration.

You will also additionally need to make changes to time-period-specific things, as laid out in the main rules PDF.  Hated of the Clans is not yet a thing, so find another major faction applicable to your history and choose them.  Draconis Combine would be the logical choice, given you're from Tamar and were born prior to the FRR splitting off.

I'm holding off on locking this thread until these are resolved. 

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Actually, hang on.  Now that I'm reading this thread in detail, there's some fundamental errors in math going all the way back to your first post.  For example, EDG starts at Threshold 8, you gain +1 for being from Tamar, and your first post reflects a Threshold of 10.  I'm going to walk through your results and rolls and see if this is salvagable.

EDIT: Ah, and I see the problem.  Clan War Orphan Path gives a +1 to EDG.   As we can see, tracking all this is very hard through screens.  I'm going to continue walking through to double-check.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:42:21 PM by Darrian Wolffe »

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »

I see the NA thing now.
The cost of Natural Aptitude is 1 Character Point for a noncombat
skill, or 2 Character Points for a combat skill (as determined
by the gamemaster). A character may never have more
than one Natural Aptitude without the gamemaster's specific
permission (Clan trueborns are a notable exception to this rule).

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »

All the math should be right sans the NA item mentioned. That will not be a difficult thing to change. If you want me to change House, that will change the amount of EDG I have at the end by one, changing more items. On top of also changing my starting skills, changing my end pool as well, on top of also changing my ending points as well for my main skills (Since Lyran starts with Negotiation.)
I can remove Tamar and choose Skye, then it starts me with the proper well-connected to get into Sangaling, thereby evening out at the end. Only difference is I also get In For Life and Stigma with Free Skye....

Never mind, forgot Skye has a restriction for stage 1 (no Clan War Orphan)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:17:52 PM by deadlyfire2345 »

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »

If you want me to change House,

Why?  Your House and Region are fine, it's simply that time-specific triggers during character creation have to be changed.  The specific one in the main rules packet is "Clan War Orphan" becomes "War Orphan".  FWIW, there's also specific rules in MW3e regarding tailor text for appropriateness to the campaign.  Page 23-24 have an example, so you aren't doing anything rules-wrong by changing this. 

And yes, math 98% checks out, though I'm going to ask in the future you format posts so they're a little easier to parse through.  The order of operations is hugely important (when something applies to your Attribute thresholds and when EDG is spent, for example), and I'm fairly sure that this helped cause the issue I'm about to address below.  Also, in the future, please don't edit posts with dice rolls in them.  As much as I hate to point it out, it calls the legitimacy of the rolls into question.  Make a new post with the new roll, please.

The main remaining issue is this: 

"Attributes:
STR 5
BOD 5
DEX 5
RFL 4
INT 5
WIL 6
CHA 7
EDG 5 (cost 7)
SOC 4
Total: 48 (2 in pool)
6 total in pool
Changing it since no need for SOC being 6 due to spending edge on lifepath."

This statement isn't correct, and comes down to a mistake in the life pathing order of operations.  The attribute minimums are still required; you still attended Sanglamore, so you still have to end character creation with a SOC of  5+.  Edge doesn't allow you to ignore minimums set by the path - it allows you to ignore the path restrictions and prerequisites to get onto the path in the first place (MW3e, pg 25 "Edge and Path Restrictions").    In Sanglamore's case, the prequisites are as follows:

Affiliation Lyran Alliance only (Federated Suns may attend prior to the secession of the Alliance in 3057). Cannot have Combat Paralysis or any of the following Traits above the lowest possible level: Disabled, Lost Limb, Poor Vision, Poor Hearing. Character must have one or more of the following: Contact-Free Skye, Well-Connected/Free Skye, WellConnected/LAAF, SOC 6+. May NOT have Stigma/Pro-Katherine or Stigma/Pro-Victor. The character must not have any serious/y "questionable" Events in his or her history relating to Skye (per the gamemaster's judgment) unless the character has or purchases an appropriate Contact who can hide the Event.

By spending 1 point of EDG, you ignore all of the above text, and then you can enter the path.  THEN the SOC minimum is set to 5.  Or to put it another way, the SOC minimum of 5 is not required to ATTEND the Academy; it's the level of SOC score you get as a result OF attending the Academy, so since the Academy happened to you, you have to have the SOC score to represent it. 

You'll need to find a Trait Point somewhere so you can shove a point back into your SOC stat.

The other math issues I was seeing were mostly addressed upthread (Promotion, and Rank, specifically).  You incorrectly combined your pair of Contact (2)s into a single Contact (4)...and then sold back half of it.  So it ends up being math-correct. 

Again, these are tweaks and you don't need to do a full restart or anything.

To sum up:
1) Fix the time-specific triggers and text
2) Fix the Natural Aptitude issue
3) Find a point somewhere to plow into your SOC stat 
4) Find some points somewhere to get into a heavier Mech.  Whether unintentional or not, this is an excellent example gaming the system because you're planning on having tbe new PC take over an existing lance, you've got spare Mechs in your lance, and you're planning to immediately seat your Lance Leader in a heavier Mech, and so why spend Trait Points on a heavier Mech in the first place?  TBH, I can think of no possible way that this was done unintentionally, given the number of Trait Points sold back which could have been used for this, and so I'm telling you to change it so that a precedent isn't set.  If it's not intentional, then change it anyway, so that a precedent isn't set.

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »

So removing one of the naturals would give me the points needed for soc to be 5 +1 point left over. Could I reroll for mech then and also how big do you want it

Darrian Wolffe

• Hazen
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »

So removing one of the naturals would give me the points needed for soc to be 5 +1 point left over.

Indeed. You may also want to consider looking more deeply into the various Positive Traits and how they impact someone who is attempting to run a merc unit.  While I know better than to think of suggesting removing Trait Points spent on SPAs, you may want to consider blowing up your Wealth (as you can't sell back any more Rank) in favor of things like Brave, Gregarious, Night Vision, Combat Sense, 6th Sense, and so forth.

Of course, taking away SPA trait points would also help with that.  The best fighters in the cockpit are rarely the best leaders.

Could I reroll for mech then and also how big do you want it

Of course you can reroll, as long as your Mech class changes.  As to how big, that's up to you.  Be honest about what sort of Mech you think someone with aspirations of command rank and with SpecOps training (thus being a valuable and expensive asset to the Lyran state) would be driving.  This isn't intended to cripple a character, but I'm also aware of the precedent here; unless I make everyone build all-new lances when they retire a PC, this sort of thing has to be kept watch upon.

Hat

• Carpe Petasus
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »

<snip>
Be honest about what sort of Mech you think someone with aspirations of command rank and with SpecOps training (thus being a valuable and expensive asset to the Lyran state) would be driving.

But, but, but... Superheavy ‘Mechs aren’t legal atm, and it’s not like he’d be driving a Steiner SCOUT ‘Mech!  He’s better than that!  ;)

deadlyfire2345

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »

I am still somewhat green on the lore of anything. I have started only playing since 2014 and actually started getting more in depth into IS, after going somewhat in depth on the Clan side last campaign.
Could I buy Custom vehicle? I only need 2 to make full custom right?
Also, for some of the positives, are we going off values inside MW3?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:00:41 PM by deadlyfire2345 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9